This is what I know so far from my current experience as I am going trough this process right now, I wish I had all this information when I looked for it before, hope it will help others in the same situation.
- You need a first aid course and an eye test. I wont expend on these because there is enough information on this subject.
- Theory (about 250 Euros inc registration).
- You have to have 14 lessons. All in the Fahrschule. Each 90 minutes, with a break (in my case).
- 2 lessons are a must, but all the others – you can do some twice and it will count: Since the schools will give every day / few days one / two classes, they teach from 1 to 14. Because most of the people cannot come to every class, they might waste time on waiting for the lesson they missed to be given again. So you can skip lesson 3 and do lesson 1 twice – It will count. You cannot do that with lessons 13 and 14.
- You can do the test in English.
- The lessons are in German. I heard only once on a school that gives English Theory lessons (in Munich), but for us in Hamburg – you have none. Some schools offer help with questions after the lesson.
- Most of the apps are in Germans, and the English apps got only the questions in English (1000). There is no learning material in English in these app. Also explanations for the English questions – are the German explanations.
- The only learning-book in English costs 90 Euros (!).
- The English of the questions in the test is horrible, it takes few times to read and understand them, be prepared for the weirdest English.
- If you fail the test, you can take another one two weeks after.
So 14 lessons, 2 of them a must, the others can be repeated, lessons are in German, test is in awful English, The only English book is expensive and NO app gives you English learning material, just English questions.
- Practical (about 38 Euros per lesson).
- Few must lessons like: night driving, autobahn…
- You can learn in English.
- The test is in German, but once the tester know that you are an English speaker – He will use only certain words that the teacher will train you with them. (simple, nothing to worry about).
You get a one year time between the theory test and the time that you can take the practical test.
* This information is based on personal experience and is not professional advisory. Please check with the Fahrschule for changes of the above information.